Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Staging

So I arrived safe and sound at staging after a perilous journey from Narberth to Old City. It turns out that there are 82 trainees departing for Mali with me! So many that we have been divided into two groups for staging. I arrived right on time for registration today, which meant that once I was all registered we basically sat around a hotel conference room for 2 hours as more people trickled in, sort of getting to know each other. At 3:00, the activities started. We talked about the goals of the Peace Corps, some statistics, how it was founded, the meaning of "development," etc. Later we talked about some of our fears and what we hoped to accomplish, and some basic safety issues. Things wrapped up at 7 or so.

I went out for dinner with a couple people, then swimming in the rooftop pool! I guess they don't want us to start roughing it right away...

Tomorrow morning we get our vaccinations, then have more sessions in the afternoon.

No comments: