Monday, August 13, 2007

some pics!

My dogomusow (little sisters): Aminata, Mariam (called La Vieille) and Bintou.
This is a rooster in a tree next to where we have class. Whenever they decide to go in the tree they get really full of themselves and won't shut up, so we chase them out.
Wulu on a wall! My Bambara class is inside a family's concession. This dog patrols the concession from the top of the wall. She's adorable! And we think she's pregnant. She has rebuffed all attemts to make friends, however, so we just have to watch her.

This is the view of the Niger river at Tubani So (above).


This is the mother and baby at the first baptism I attended (above). Sorry it's sideways. The internet is slow; so I can't change it now.
This is a woman painting my feet. It's called Indu Jabi, and it was traditionally done with henna, but now they add something to make it black. After I had it done I heard that sometimes that something is rat poisoning. It's been 2 weeks and my feet seem to be doing ok, so let's hope it wasn't that.
This is Moribabugu, my homestay village. This is the paved road that runs from Bamako to Koulikoro. The rest of the town is dirt roads.

I originally tried to post this several days ago, but the power went out. So enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice pics. It was interesting to read about Mali. Didn't know that you moved there! Hope to read about your avenures more!^)))

Donna said...

Your pictures are wonderful, as are your descriptions of the food. It would be great to see pictures of your home too. I was surprised that in the picture of your little sisters, the window in the background looked very western, but the description of cooking suggests that not everything is! Is there any special significance to foot painting?